Sunday, June 24, 2012

Farewell Westlife



Last night I went to the final EVER Westlife concert and it was one of the best nights of my life.

I'm going to be honest, as a teenager I was never in to Westlife. I rebelled against the idea of an Irish boyband but last night that all changed.

As my career as a journalist I have interviewed both Kian Egan and Nicky Byrne.  Anytime I spoke with them there were screaming girls in the background, crying children begging for an autograph, and I never understood why until last night.


Standing alongside 85,000 Irish music fans, I could feel the love and the passion pumping through their veins. Men and women of all ages, shapes and sizes, were smiling ear to ear as Westlife got into their positions on stage.

With everything that has gone on in our country in recent years it was amazing to see thousands of people standing side by side, smiling and laughing, escaping from the doom and gloom to a safe place.

As we all sang along to What Makes A Man , waving our arms in the air, I became so emotional, so proud. Maybe it was because we were in Croke Park or maybe it was because I finally realised what Westlife actually stood for, either way I felt so patriotic.

And as the show went on, I got more and more emotional. I was lucky enough to be viewing the gig from a corporate suite, and Nicky's family were sitting right beside me. I could see how proud they were of their son, brother, cousin and friend.



Looking around the stadium all of the bands family stood by their suites, looking on as their loved ones sang together one last time.

Everything the band has achieved, not just for their families, but for their country, was clear last night. Then the tears came. I never thought I would end up crying but as Nicky, Shane, Kian and Mark stood among the audience to say their final goodbyes, I couldn't help but feel an overwhelming sadness.

Starting off Kian had tears streaming down his face as he thanked his 'beautiful wife Jodi 'and paid tribute to his son Koa.

Looking through the thousands in the audience Kian thanked everyone from the bottom from his heart. And asked the crowds to chant 'Louis, Louis' to honour manager Louis Walsh.

 Nicky stepped up next, crying as he looked out at the 85,000 fans. Gushing about his wife Georgina and their twin boys, he said Georgina was the 'best thing that ever happened' to him. Fighting back sobs he thanked his mother for all her love and support.

Me at the Westlife gig last night

Mark then managed to keep his eyes dry but thanked the fans, and his family. But the most emotional speech came when Shane stood up on stage. Clearly overwhelmed by the idea of leaving Westlife Shane struggled to say his thank yous. Shane thanked the fans throughout the years and admitted that deep down none of the band mates want their journey to end. It was clear that Westlife has been his whole identity, his life, his love, his everything. And that Nicky, Shane, Mark and Kian share a bond that will never be broken. Standing with my friends, I too had tears running down my face. And as the boys sang their very first number one hit Flying Without Wings for the last time, the entire crowd joined together to give them a powerful send off. 

I realised last night that not only are Westlife one of Ireland's most successful bands in the world, they are a group of true gentlemen who have made our lives happier, our nights more enjoyable, our relationships more meaningful and most importantly, they've made our Irish pride stronger.

Farewell Westlife

Editor In Chief 
 Ali Ryan